How many of you LOVE the 830

bcom77

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In terms of the design of the phone, it's the best looking Lumia since the original Lumia 800 was released in my personal opinion. The only thing that stopped me from purchasing one is that the screen is not OLED. Windows Phone OS and OLED screens are a match made in heaven due to the blackest blacks and vibrant colours, it really makes the live tiles pop. What I don't understand is that the Lumia 730 has the same specs AND has an OLED screen but is selling for a lot cheaper than the 830. The screens are on the wrong phones! I have an 820 and the OLED screen on it is still amazing after almost 3 years of use. Even though the screen res is only 800 x 400 OLED helps make the resolution of screen look higher than it really is, if that makes sense. Personally, I'm waiting for the rumored 940. If what they say is true, it will have a similar design to the 830 so with that body and top of the line specs, we could have the best Lumia yet!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
In terms of the design of the phone, it's the best looking Lumia since the original Lumia 800 was released in my personal opinion. The only thing that stopped me from purchasing one is that the screen is not OLED. Windows Phone OS and OLED screens are a match made in heaven due to the blackest blacks and vibrant colours, it really makes the live tiles pop. What I don't understand is that the Lumia 730 has the same specs AND has an OLED screen but is selling for a lot cheaper than the 830. The screens are on the wrong phones! I have an 820 and the OLED screen on it is still amazing after almost 3 years of use. Even though the screen res is only 800 x 400 OLED helps make the resolution of screen look higher than it really is, if that makes sense. Personally, I'm waiting for the rumored 940. If what they say is true, it will have a similar design to the 830 so with that body and top of the line specs, we could have the best Lumia yet!

I think most of us would agree though that the trade-off of having an IPS screen with Glance beats and OLED without Glance. And I totally agree that the 830 is the sexiest Lumia since the 800. And that's saying something considering how nice the entire Lumia line is.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I loved my 830. Went to the lumia 640xl recently and you can immediately tell the difference in build quality (I do not understand those complaining about the 830's build quality, although I rarely see that complaint). I got it for a good price however, so I can't say whether the value was worth it, although i absolutely agree the $450 USD asking price is way too high.

How are you liking the 640XL overall? I ordered one for my father to replace his 1320. He liked the 1320, but needed a better camera and Miracast support.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think most of us would agree though that the trade-off of having an IPS screen with Glance beats and OLED without Glance. And I totally agree that the 830 is the sexiest Lumia since the 800. And that's saying something considering how nice the entire Lumia line is.

Is glance simply not available to phones with OLED.. The 925 is AMOLED and has Glance... what's the diff between OLED & AMOLED

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I COMPLETELY AGREE.. the 830 is also in my opinion simply the best looking Lumia to date but the unimpressive display hurts it... Also there are a two elements to the design I don't like.

Firstly the gaping tab at the bottom of the back is ugly looking IMO, and makes the phone look like a cheap low end device, despite its aluminum frame.. they should've made the back seamless with the phone like on the 925 & 930... it would've looked much better.

Secondly the back plate doesn't wrap perfectly around the camera lens like on the 1520, and 925... this also makes the phone look cheap IMO... But both of these were IMO compromises, that needed to be made in order for the back to be easily removed...:straight:

Azureusz

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I got my 830 7 months ago, and I still love it. I replaced my 620 for a better camera experience, but now I use it for everyday work and travelling too. The size of the device is the only thing, that I don't like, cause of small hands, but when watching a movie while travelling from work to home is a great experience with the big screen.

iwesly

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
It is actually a pretty cool phone. But the specs could have been better considering that phones like One Plus One are being sold in the same price bracket.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
i love it and i do think lumia 830 design deserve higher spec, i can't wait for the next generation with an updated design and higher spec

klkokke

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Don't get it.....

I went from a 1520 to the 830 for the exact same reason, it was newer, a little smaller and would tide me over until the Win 10 Flagship came out and I have regretted it ever since. I had to return the first three due to faulty buttons, either the Win key, the back key or the search would not work or a combination of them did not. Then after finally getting a "good" phone, I learned that it likes to overheat which is brutal as I am in Arizona and hanging out outside will cause it to lag down. The phone likes to re-boot itself, the Bluetooth and wi-fi get hung to the point you need to soft-reset in order to get it turned off and on, and the Xbox Music app.... lets just say connected to Bluetooth half the time it gets stupid and freezes. this has even happened with taking pictures using the camera or trying to view photos.

I hate the phone.... great size and feel but compared to the 1520 it feels years behind.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I replaced the kid's 920s with 830s I found on ebay - new or refurbed around $200. For that price, the 830 is a very well built phone. Not the fastest proc, but very capable. Battery life is excellent.Camera is nice. The kid's are both very happy with the upgrade.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Funny... My 830 runs cooler than any other Lumia I have tried: 521 / 925 / 1520.3 / 520 / 928 / 830...

The only Windows Phone I've used that has run cooler than Lumia 830? Blu Win HD (1st gen).

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Don't get it.....

I went from a 1520 to the 830 for the exact same reason, it was newer, a little smaller and would tide me over until the Win 10 Flagship came out and I have regretted it ever since. I had to return the first three due to faulty buttons, either the Win key, the back key or the search would not work or a combination of them did not. Then after finally getting a "good" phone, I learned that it likes to overheat which is brutal as I am in Arizona and hanging out outside will cause it to lag down. The phone likes to re-boot itself, the Bluetooth and wi-fi get hung to the point you need to soft-reset in order to get it turned off and on, and the Xbox Music app.... lets just say connected to Bluetooth half the time it gets stupid and freezes. this has even happened with taking pictures using the camera or trying to view photos.

I hate the phone.... great size and feel but compared to the 1520 it feels years behind.

Sorry you've had this experience. I buy and sell phones, and have had about a dozen 830's come through. I haven't these issues with any of them.

After buying/selling so many, I decided to keep one for myself, which I use now. I actually have a mint unlocked 1520 in stock right now, and I've been looking hard at them side-by-side, giving some real thought to keeping the 1520 and selling the 830. I think, though, I am going to move ahead with selling the 1520, and hand onto the 830. I really, really like the 1520, but I think it's just too big for me. The one I have in stock is yellow, so that's part of the issue for me as well.

I have two more 1520's coming in today - both black. That will be a more fair comparison, and I might yet end up keeping one of those for a tryout period to decide which one I'd rather use.

As RumoredNow said, this phone runs much cooler than my 930 did.

Addict28

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the lumia 830 for a week and my previous windows phone was the 925 which I loved but regrettably gave away. I have no problem with the 830 and I do think the camera is better. It's super responsive although the back button has lagged once or twice but it isn't an issue. We in south Africa seem to have the full denim update as I see I have the lumia camera with dng support although I am not 100%sure if it is the full update.
I also have the galaxy s6( my favourite) The xperia z2, the huawei ascend g7 and the s4 zoom.I am a bit of an addict.The 830 is perfectly fine no problems so far.
Even though the screen on my s6 is stunning, I don't feel like the 830's is bad or that is "inferior". The phone is discounted in south Africa now at a real bargain and that's why I have it. I don't regret the decision to get another windows phone for a second. The only thing I miss on windows is tubemate,pvz2 or the free version of pvz original oh and song pop. Hopefully with windows 10 I will be able to play those games on my Windows phone as well. The 830 is definitely better than my z2 but I hope they bring out a lumia with an easy camera like my s6 where I can just point and shoot and not have to worry about lenses. That is the problem I have with my z2 as well. To get the best shots u have to tinker a bit when all u want to do is just to be able to take the picture.
All said and done I love the 830 and even recommended it to people who also got it because of the discounted price on contract.
Well done Nokia/ microsoft

Addict28

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Have the 830 for a week and I love it. I am android user admittedly as I have 4 Android devices including the galaxy s6 and xperia z2.
My previous Windows phone was the 925and I think the camera is 830 is better and we have the lumia camera update in south Africa and I think we have the full denim update. The phone is fast and the only apps I wish windows would get is pvz2 and song pop. The phone is super discounted in south Africa even cheaper than the 735 at the moment. What would make it better if the camera was as easy to use as my s6 but it's definitely better than my z2's camera but probably just as complicated to use. If only all the lenses was integrated and. Not separate apps

bcom77

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think Glance couldn't be included on the 930 because of the type of display Nokia used, not because of the OLED screen. The 820 and 925 are OLED and they have Glance. I read a piece about it a while back because a lot of Nokia fans were upset at the omission of Glance, especially on a flagship device, and a Nokia rep said that it was a combination of the type of full HD display they used and the lack of pixel memory (or picture memory, I can't remember the exact terminology they used) it had which meant that Glance couldn't be used. Hopefully they address this with the next flagship as Glance is a small by very useful feature that makes using a Nokia/Lumia device great. Plus, a flagship should have every feature that the software and hardware can provide, it shouldn't be leaving them out.

ben81

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Is glance simply not available to phones with OLED.. The 925 is AMOLED and has Glance... what's the diff between OLED & AMOLED

OLED vs LCD is irrelevant for Glance availability. What matters is whether the display has some kind of memory (as described in the post above, I too don't remember exact term for this display memory :) ).

To answer your question, AMOLED (Active Matrix OLED) is just subtype of OLED.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmahrsh137