What kind of Battery Life do you get?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am still looking to get a 1520.3 and was wondering what kind of battery life you all get.

I am not talking about estimated time left but real battery life :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
2 days usually. Meaning I go a night without charging it. Wake up, use phone all day and the next day and charge it that night. Sometimes i need to charge it during the day of the second day. I have maximized my battery consumption and dont use any background tasks or live tiles. Dont leave bluetooth or wifi on unless I am actively using them.

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Easily a full day from 7am off the charger to about 40-60% that same night back on the charger.
That is with emails all day, social media consistent browsing,and connected to wifi throughout.

It has easily been the best battery I have seen on any device I have used including the Note 3 which is known for the best battery life.

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
All my other phones I have to charge night and mid day but the 1520 goes almost always a full day. If you game, battery runs down fast of course 😊 I'm too worried about battery anymore...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
From 100 down to 0 ppercent?

No, but maybe after a full day of not charging it.

For example on my iPhone after getting to work, my battery life is at 100%, by the time I leave it will be between 20-35% (8-9 hours later). When I get home I charge it, then I charge it over might as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I haven't tried not charging it as often as I could.

I normally charge my phone at home, charge again when reaching office and keeping it charged throughout the day, unplug during lunch, going home time. Will charge again when back home before uplugging it during bedtime.

Letting phone batt drains down is not good. I keep it constantly charged as far as I can get hold of power line. :smile:

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
2 days usually. Meaning I go a night without charging it. Wake up, use phone all day and the next day and charge it that night. Sometimes i need to charge it during the day of the second day. I have maximized my battery consumption and dont use any background tasks or live tiles. Dont leave bluetooth or wifi on unless I am actively using them.

The old NiCad and NiMH batteries like to be run flat, then fully charged to 100% - to prevent the so called "memory-effect".
However, lithium ion (Lion), and lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries like to have their charge kept up.
Lions and Lipos perform best if they are recharged when capacity falls to 50%.
If lions and lipos are allowed to discharge to nearly zero capacity, then recharged to 100% - the lion and lipo battery will age quickly, and the battery won't last as many years, with the maximum capacity falling quickly over 12 months...

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The old NiCad and NiMH batteries like to be run flat, then fully charged to 100% - to prevent the so called "memory-effect".
However, lithium ion (Lion), and lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries like to have their charge kept up.
If lions and lipos are allowed to discharge to nearly zero capacity, then recharged to 100% - the lion and lipo battery will age quickly, and the battery won't last as many years, with the maximum capacity falling quickly over 12 months...

I agree with what you said, cuz that's already technically proved, but the best percentage of lions and lipos batteries to start charge them again is when they reach the 20-30% battery life left. I do it when it reaches 25%. :)

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why you quoted my post. I never said I let it die. In fact I usually charger it around the 20-30% range. Anf you are wrong about the 50%. Just as long as you dont let it die all the time is fine. Doesnt matter what percentage you start to charge. Actually the best thing to do for the battery would to be turn the phone off if you arent using it. But obviously it would be silly to turn your phone on and off all day.

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Not sure why you quoted my post. I never said I let it die. In fact I usually charger it around the 20-30% range. Anf you are wrong about the 50%. Just as long as you dont let it die all the time is fine. Doesnt matter what percentage you start to charge. Actually the best thing to do for the battery would to be turn the phone off if you arent using it. But obviously it would be silly to turn your phone on and off all day.

I thought u said in yr Post #3 "Meaning that I go a night without charging it".

The percentage at which you recharge is critical in determining the overall longevity of yr battery.
Battery university says that it's best to keep a lithium ion or lithium polymer charged up at all times.
Meaning that if u can, recharge it even after the slightest fall.

A battery discharged 100%, and then recharged, will last only 300-500 cycles.
A battery discharged 50% before being recharged will last 1200-1500 cycles!
Meanwhile a battery discharged only 10% before being recharged, will last 3,750-4,700 cycles!!!

The more you keep it up, the more you will prolong the life of yr lion or lipo:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
Refer to their Table 2.

Thus, for a 1520, for practical purposes, best recharge nightly.

Allowing yr battery's capacity to fall to 20-30% before recharging will shorten/reduce the overall lifespan of your battery...

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Modern phone batteries these days don't suffer from the "memory" effect. For the past 10 years or so I've always charged my phone overnight, sometimes not (if I don't have access to a charger) and sometimes I top up if I feel like it. I've never had a set strategy, and I've never seen battery life suffer.

Live life simple and just charge your battery whenever you want to.

Back on topic, I'll get two days easily out of my phone, except if I use it heavily.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I concur letting the battery juiced up whenever you can. I don't leave it to overnight charging though due to potential fire risk. My 'overnight' charging is during office hours when I let it plugged in continuously even though it's 100% charged as shown.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
These responses alone are why I'm considering the 1520 now. I'm so tired of my battery life on my 1020 and the lag as well

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
These responses alone are why I'm considering the 1520 now. I'm so tired of my battery life on my 1020 and the lag as well
My Samsung ATIV S i8750, has almost the same specs as the Lumia 1020, same CPU, same GPU, and plus the L1020 has 2GB of RAM compared to the 1GB for the ATIV S. My phone works perfect, it's fast, snappy, accurate in every aspect. So how come your Lumia 1020 is laggy? I am not saying you are overreacting, but i am just wondering is that even possible with 2GB of RAM? Maybe something is wrong with your phone, just sayin'. :)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung ATIV S i8750, has almost the same specs as the Lumia 1020, same CPU, same GPU, and plus the L1020 has 2GB of RAM compared to the 1GB for the ATIV S. My phone works perfect, it's fast, snappy, accurate in every aspect. So how come your Lumia 1020 is laggy? I am not saying you are overreacting, but i am just wondering is that even possible with 2GB of RAM? Maybe something is wrong with your phone, just sayin'. :)

Maybe the Samsung optimizes the OS better than the 1020? I've got a 1020 as well, as while in idle it's nice but using it drains the battery pretty aggressively. Lag, it can be slower at times but I wouldn't say my 1020 is laggy...but its not as snappy as the latest phones. Apperantly the extra GB is strictly for image processing...so both phones use 1gb for OS.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the Samsung optimizes the OS better than the 1020? I've got a 1020 as well, as while in idle it's nice but using it drains the battery pretty aggressively. Lag, it can be slower at times but I wouldn't say my 1020 is laggy...but its not as snappy as the latest phones. Apperantly the extra GB is strictly for image processing...so both phones use 1gb for OS.

Guess you are right about the Samsung optimizing the OS better than 1020, and what you said about that extra 1GB of RAM towards the ATIV S being for image processing, that makes logic. I personally never played with 1020, yes i did hold it, play with it for a few minutes, snapped some pictures, but that's it, cuz it was my friends phone. He is so in love with that phone, lol.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I normally put mine on the charger every night, at which point it's at about 90% charge. A few weeks ago I let it go without charging to see how it would do. I put it on the charger at 6d18hr with 23% left. Unfortunately I forgot to take a screenshot before I put it on the charger, but I did take a screenshot a few days earlier that pretty much tells the tale.
wp_ss_20140818_0001.jpg
I upgraded to 8.1.1 during this period, so this is partly 8.1 and partly 8.1.1. The only power-saving move I've made is that I don't have Cortana pinned to the start screen, since I've found that this occasionally spazzes out and locks up the phone and drains the battery very quickly.

Edit: I found a screenshot on my phone that I took about 5 days after taking it off the charger - replaced the old screenshot from 3 days in...

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140816_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140816_0001.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo