why did you choose Windows over the competition ?(ios, Android,BBos etc)

chunky2055

May 13, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, when choosing my fone First thing in my Mind was NOKIA.(i own Lumia 820, n m luv'in it).
Other then the my Nokia luv, its was the smoothness and speed of WP8 UI that caught me. I have used a ****ty Crapoid in past for some time and an iPhone 4 as my work phone, but they are no match against my L820. For my surprise iPhone 4 was too slow while using and too lazy on 3G (or may be i got the habit of smoothness of wp8, so everything else feels slow).
also the simplicity of UI ,data safety no virus issues and low profile but elegant device design made me buy this my lumia 820. As in India we dont have carrier subsidies on devices , smartphones are pretty expensive(450$ for L820 when i got it) here, so it was big decision and took me long to lock on a this fone.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Reasons:
- offline maps (amazing)
- integration with MS services (outlook, etc...).
- encryption / remote info deletion (we all have so much info in our phones nowadays)
- fluidity
- live tiles
- price

On second place, I like iOS. I?m scared of Android.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I had given up my BlackBerry, some years ago, as I had no real reason to have one anymore. When my dumb phone started to give up the ghost, I wondered if I should get another smart phone. Apple was out, not a fan of the company. After having a BB, Android seemed to be too insecure for me, but was still contemplating it. I have Windows 8, on my PC, so a Windows phone seemed to be a real alternative. As most of the apps that seem to be absent, on WP, are social, I did not feel that I would miss them (no, I'm not antisocial, I just actually talk to my friends).

I, also, did not want to put out a lot of money in case I decided that I did not need a smartphone. When I discovered the 520, it seemed like a good fit, and the rest is history.

cotras

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I hope it'll function in a more predictable (trustworthy) manner (compared to android phones), due to more restricted APIs etc.
And I never liked the whole idea of dalvik in the first place.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm a long-time Windows Mobile user.
I'm a long-time Windows user.
It made sense to be a Windows Phone user.
I will say that I'm disappointed in a lot if things about Windows Phone, compared to Windows Mobile, but I'm nit about to go back.

Android would probably be my second choice, but it is so laggy.
I've messed around with multiple Android devices and it just never felt smooth.

The number one reason why I chose Windows Phone is the start screen.
The whole "glance and go" concept fits me to a t (although I have no idea what that actually means).

I don't think we really need to discuss IOS.
That's what our parents and grandparents talk on.
Hehehe...
JJ

William Mjema

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been an avid fan of android for 2 years until my sgs2 died on me. However the time I have had with the android phone was full of disappointments caused by restarts, phone switching off and generally laggy performance. After doing research on windows phones, I decided to buy one. I am still testing it though, but so far things seem to be cool.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
By accident. I picked up a 900 at Best Buy (which still currently has no plugged-in models of WP on display in Bay Shore NY) two summers ago and really liked OS and the dedicated camera button. Now I have a 920.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Only beacuse of Nokia and their fantastic support. My second choice would be BB10 as I just don't care about apps except a handful. Though I am eagerly waiting for Jolla to release their phone and really excited about it.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Never liked iOS as a phone. I enjoy it as a tablet, not really sure why... Android never interested me. I enjoy Blackberry, but I dont think it's quite evolved enough yet, for me. 10.2 looks quite solid though... If the Z30 was out with 10.2 and they had atleast as good of Apps support as WP8, I would probably have jumped on it instead of my Lumia 1020. But I love my 1020.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Never liked iOS as a phone. I enjoy it as a tablet, not really sure why... Android never interested me. I enjoy Blackberry, but I dont think it's quite evolved enough yet, for me. 10.2 looks quite solid though... If the Z30 was out with 10.2 and they had atleast as good of Apps support as WP8, I would probably have jumped on it instead of my Lumia 1020. But I love my 1020.

You are aware that you can side load Android apps on a Z10 right ?

Using Windows since 1998

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I chose windows phone to be different from the crowd, everyone either had iPhones or androids (this was around the time when BB was dying out). Another reason was Xbox integration, because I'm a huge Xbox gamer :D

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I chose Windows because of Nokia. Simple as that. I didn't knew what was WP8 about, I just wanted a smartphone-toy. But a good-priced toy with good-looking, elegant design. So I bought Lumia 720 because of... essentially of how it looks.
Afterwards I learned to love the fluidity and lag free experience, the camera, the joyful colors. I even enjoy the frustrations that came along. :)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
As my signature shows i've owned a version of all 3 OS/Phone types, own a Nexus 7 and IPod Nano for music.

I came back to WP after using a GS3 because:
  • Love Start Screen
  • Never lags, especially when texting
  • Built in Nokia apps
  • Offline GPS
  • Specific to 920, HW build quality
  • love the animations and overall Metro design

Also, since i have a Nexus 7 i figured still have access to use Android...and 8 months later i've turned the thing on a total of 10 times, mainly to browse the web or use flipboard.

WP8 is definitely lacking in some areas, but overall i prefer it over android. As for Apple, their products are just so expensive plus my wife has an iPhone 5 so i've got access to the device.

UPDATE: after some time of playing with the iPhone 5 and iOS7, i realized how much id grown to love the new iPhone and for my upgrade got a iPhone 5s this weekend. I gotta say, maybe if Canada had more Lumia/Windows phones avaliable things could be different...with Rogers my only options are L1020 or L520, which neither fit what i was looking for. In two years when i renew my contract im hoping WP9 is out with many device choices, specifically for me i'd prefer a 4" screen.

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I chose WP over Android or iOS mostly because I didn't like Google and Apple and as a WM user out of habit.

Nowadays I don't see much reason to like a company more than another company, they all are just trying to make as much profit as possible. That means if I'd buy new phone this year, it would probably be an Android phone (more features than WP, better apps than on WP). However I'll wait for another year, so let's see what Microsoft can achieve in this time.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I chose the L920 because after having an iPhone 4 I just didn't want to get the iPhone 5 and be stuck with the exact same thing for another 2 years. I would never get an Android so only 1 option remained.

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I tasted almost all the platform, when I started with wp7, I loved the fastness but the limits made me get back to android.
I couldn't have a phone more than 3 month, I sold it to get a better one, but my Lumia 822 stock me for 6 month and still love it, if I change it will be for another wp8 device like 1020, but my L822 is my beloved device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard