Worth picking up in late 2018

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
1) Personally prefer Samsung SD cards due to the reliability of the NAND flash they use and especially since Western Digital acquired Sandisk.

2) Edge is a different story imo as it was supposed to be updateable via the app store but it needs O/S level updates due to the browser integration in the Windows O/S. This is not new, it stems back to internet explorer days and thanks to this you can actually launch a web page via any window in file explorer.

3) I disagree, it's two fold as the certification process for xbox live titles was far too stringent and costly. Xbox is making a massive resurgence under the guide of Phil Spencer et al and it's been their sole saving grace for the entire company as a whole. Because as it stands Microsoft is a company is not a viewed as being "hip", "trendy" let alone "chic".

There is alot that went to the death knell of Windows Mobile most of which has been rehashed ad nauseam so I won't get into the nitty gritty. Many people did not use Windows Phone completely, they only used some functions so therefore do not remember the lacking - let alone the issues at first launch from the rebrand form WM 6.x to 7.x. Again these have been rehashed and I see no point in dredging up what is now ancient history (kernel switch, phones eating / flipping the secure bit in msd cards, the stringent UX requirements, the lapse of UX requirements for OEMs etc etc).

From that history there is one crucial aspect that has put where UWP and WM10 is today - that is the axe of the mobile division. Ballmer's vision would have saved WM10 however talking about that is frankly pointless, a waste of time and a futile exercise without in depth comparisons and understanding the complexities involved for both CEOs - The current CEO Satya Nadella and Steve Ballmer.

The only thing to do is to ensure Microsoft does bring a foldable and pocketable device to the market. A device that is transient beyond smartphones thus laying the foundation via UWP.

Quite interesting... and yes, getting intothe whole "who did what When" is pointless.. but all i say is...

When Steve went.. True Apple died.. When the other Steve went Windows Phone died..

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I still can't get enough of the 950 XL. Actually it is Windows 10 Mobile that I cannot get enough of. Good to see all the posts in here. One day I need to purchase at least 2 new 950 XL LCD screens, 1 to put together a working 950 XL so it has a brand new LCD and to keep the other as a spare. I am going to keep using my Lumias and other Windows phones even after 2019 if I have to. Apps will be the last to stop getting updates if anything, and I am not worried about patches and such for security. They are good and a great security blanket, but honestly there are worse things out there I am concerned with than someone breaching my phone. Plus I have not seen a serious show stopping bug (for me) on Windows 10 Mobile in a while.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Most of the apps I use are still on W10 M. The ones that aren't I can still use PWA or go to the Web. Definitely a great phone for basic functions, email, text, camera. My Tube is a constantly updated superior YouTube app.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
hey all I know this is a bit late.....but I found a mint 950xl dual sim on the net for 250usd....
a few questions....
1. is it worth the 250usd?
2. apps- I'm really not app heavy I can do without a lot of them...the most I use are:
whatsapp, whatsapp business & gb whatsapp (personal local business and my overseas business)
office apps (word excel) onedrive mail camera cortana
I do flirt with FB and FB messenger (look at a few pics like comment.....post only really for my businesses) so it's nothing major I use FB for but I find that my non local business customers are heavy FBMess users
I'll need an app to download YT videos and videos from websites (dailymotion for example) and as a big fan of series and movies I'll also need a terrarium/showbox type app
granted my particular usage would this purchase be a good one?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
hey all I know this is a bit late.....but I found a mint 950xl dual sim on the net for 250usd....
a few questions....
1. is it worth the 250usd?
2. apps- I'm really not app heavy I can do without a lot of them...the most I use are:
whatsapp, whatsapp business & gb whatsapp (personal local business and my overseas business)
office apps (word excel) onedrive mail camera cortana
I do flirt with FB and FB messenger (look at a few pics like comment.....post only really for my businesses) so it's nothing major I use FB for but I find that my non local business customers are heavy FBMess users
I'll need an app to download YT videos and videos from websites (dailymotion for example) and as a big fan of series and movies I'll also need a terrarium/showbox type app
granted my particular usage would this purchase be a good one?

Even as a 950XL owner who still uses it as a daily driver, I can't recommend it as a "good" purchase. It'll be perfectly fine for the rest of the year for most of your stuff in #2 . I can't vouch for whatsapp and FB but the others are fine, although Cortana gets less useful by the day. Now I only use it to read texts in the car over Bluetooth and for setting reminders. Can't remember the last time I actually opened the app for anything. Anyway, MyTube is a great a YT client so you're also covered there. But the end is nigh and who knows how much stuff like phone backup and auto photo upload to OneDrive will still work this time next year. MS already said there are no guarantees any MS service/app will work very long after the official EOL in December. If this will be your first foray into W10M, then I'd definitely look elsewhere. You can get the full MS experience on Android and reasonably close on iOS, if that's what you're looking for. MS has done a good job of making their apps and services at least as good and in a lot of cases better on Android/iOS than on W10M. And if the MS experience isn't important to you, then there's no reason to look at W10M unless you want a fun piece of mobile history to play with on occassion.

webvan

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Picture quality was mentioned above and that's true and also that newer phones handle low light better thanks to the extra processing power available (the Google Pixel phones notably) but where the Nokia phones (those with Rich Audio like the 830/930/650, etc...) remain unbeaten in my opinion is for audio recording. They produce amazing results thanks to their "Rich Audio Mics" that neither LG with their V30 or Nokia with OZO audio on the Nokia 8 have been able to replicate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos