Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Petru Moldovan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes I do. My old Lumia 820 was stolen, I am on hard times using a $85 droid which I cannot understand because it is unpredictable, slow and I have to reboot it 1-2 times per day, and I am waiting for a device with Continuum in order to stop carrying my Acer Iconia W700 (a sort of not-so-good Surface Pro 2) with me. I am willing to pay some <$1000 plus some $100 for the docking station, because as an IT professional I honestly have to say that all I am using is the browser, Notepad, Excel (for timesheets), PDF Reader (for the DOCs), and mostly Remote Desktop to connect to servers. And yes, I need also Putty and SCP to connect to some Linux boxes, but I hope those things will also work on the new phones :)

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the only apps always missing are Banking apps, how much you guys fin bank? use paypal to send people money. OR get some Fin cash from the ATM lazy...and stop making visa and mastercard investors rich.
Can no one tell me the ebay app on android/ios can do everything ebay.com can do?
Apps I want that are unavailable are definitely not banking apps.

I have the Logitech Harmony smart remote system. They do not have a Windows app. Being able to use my phone, that I always have with me would be really nice.

I'm a current Comcast subscriber and am looking to switch to DirecTV. Both of them have really nice Android apps that let you watch/stream TV to your phone, control your DVR remotely, etc. No such app for Windows.

I play a lot of Euro/strategy board games. There are companion apps coming out for various games that are really nice. Some games, like Fantasy Flight's XCOM even require the usage of an app. No one makes apps for Windows.

While the Bing and ESPN sports apps are nice, they are nowhere near as good as the same apps for Android. Same with news apps, Facebook, Office, etc.

madato

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Totally my sentiment. I sold my 930 and went to Moto X.

Even with lollipop I'm still hating this phone. Especially the camera.

Nothing can come close to the 930 camera. Not any Android or iOS phone.

I've been looking to buy the 930 back but I might wait to see what Microsoft announces in 3 weeks for the new Lumias and Windows 10 phones etc.

utg001

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
with my recent experience with androids and win phones, I'm going to say yes yes and yes! I don't mind waiting two years for a new device, it is better for me to stick with one phone for two years. year on year upgrades do not offer too much of an advantage. Personally, I cannot distinguish one android device from another they all look the same to me, and the reason I want to stay away from them is that even high end androids get lag after a few years of use which I plan to get out of them.
Lag is something I cannot tolerate, I will happily accept a 512mb RAM device that doesn't lag rather than doing fancy stuff with a 3gb RAM device to keep them from lagging.
I have heard time and again from android users that with the new android the lag is gone and this story has been going on from the days of android 4.4, the argument against MS is that WP has no apps, but I have more apps than I can use on my phone right now. despite all that, I always believe android users when they say lag is gone now, and just before my purchase I always see the device in hands of someone who has used it for a few months to see what it will behave like, and I have always changed my mind at the last moment.
The upshot, for my use, android would irritate me, and i don't see this changing any time soon.I will stick with WP for the time being, not looking at iPhones because I want my phone to be with my windows PC. I know it can be done with iPhone but still nope, I will complement my devices. You see, if you really want something that adds "something" every year, would you try iPhones for this sole reason?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My upgrade is at the end of November. I love my ICON but if no flagship exist on Verizon by then I'm leaning towards a Edge+. I love the Windows mobile OS but no high end phones on Verizon limits me. I'm not changing providers again for a phone.

Ron Chen

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
After using iPhone for almost 5 years, recently I switched to Lumia 1520 because my iPhone 5s was broken. What I really like about WP is the tiles. I can get information like weather, email and text messages without opening an app. It is quite cool and innovative for me. After upgrading to windows mobile 10, I find WP is even more sophisticated and very good to use. I must say, the operating system it self has no problem. The problem is insuficcient and not-optimized APP for WP.

Therefore, I will switch back to iPhone.

Longshot2012

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
After just reading the HTC 8X isn't going to get the W10 upgrade, I highly doubt it. Not going to get in another contract just to see if things get better with W10. I'll switch to something else for a few years and decide then whether or not to return.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why I wouldn't really. It just has to be the possible right phone for me. Google is annoying, and if push came to shove (hopefully it wouldn't), I would consider iOS but probably an older one, lol.

I think there's potential in the system and I just like how it is.

The old Google is annoying (or other insult) is kind of amusing from Windows Phone fans. The reason I say this is because if you want to remain loyal to MS you really don't have to use any Google apps on an Android phone. AND, the MS apps on Android are actually much better than the Microsoft apps on Windows Phone. How do I know this - I have had 2 Lumia 520s (they are both serving as MP3/podcast players) and a Lumia 635. And I believe this will continue to be the case going forward because Services is a key component (especially with Windows revenue going down) and they have to go where the money (or customers are, as the case might be) is and that is iOS and Android. Windows Mobile was and will continue to be a black hole for MS and only exists because they need to have a hardware presence in the phone space.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, as a recent switcher (from WP to Android) I was tempted to say NO, but the reality is different.
Even though I'm enjoying a custom rom equipped Nexus 6 that is:
- blazing fast
- offers me real multitasking
- offers me a real hangouts client (that do NOT need to be run every 5 days in order to re-arm the push notification system, and can actually know when the message have been read on another device etc..)
- a descent mapping service when traveling in some countries like JAPAN (no covered AT ALL by Here service)
- endless possibilities of interface customization
- the infinite list of great games, and by great games I don't mean gameloft freemium crap, I'm talking about - for example - Baldur's Gate 2 incredible port, Braveland, Crowntakers, all the Kairosoft games...etc

STILL

I miss the Lumia camera SO MUCH it almost hurts... For real, every time I take a picture I want to cry.
I mean, coming from a 930, I'm just so disapointed at how crappy the HDR+ function of the google camera is rendering.. Even on a GS6 it looks.. fake, you've got no control over the hdr exposure, you've got a heavy interface that will lag at the moment you need instantaneity, you've got a strange photo album organization, kind of messy...

Well, ok I'm just focusing on the camera/picture features here but hey.. it's almost enough to make me buy a cityman/talkman very soon.

And hey... when you're out of memory on your internal sd, you think you can just switch everything on your android external ? Yeah they like make you think you can, it even looks like you did it. But you did not. You just move the apk executable package file on the external, but all the app data (for example maps in a gps applications, environnement in a 3d games) will REMAIN on the internal memory. Forever. A real nightmare.

So now I don't even remember the initial Yes/No question.. Had to scroll up a bit.
Okay, would I buy another Microsoft Mobile ? Yep, I would. And I'm pretty sure I would rage for a few day at the missing apps from android, but I'm also sure I would feel relaxed to know that I have a clean, regularly updated, smooth, harmonized system with a DAMN DECENT CAMERA APP ON IT.

The Nexus line has a lot of advantages BUT the camera is not one of them. It was a pretty well known fact that it has a mediocre camera and you should have been prepared for it. SO, if you want a superb camera there are choices in the Android world - Galaxy Line (S6, Note 5, etc), and LG G4 are two off the top of my head. As for everyone bad mouthing the state of OS updates in Android that is the reason that Google has moved a lot of the core features of Android to apps and Google Play services. In most cases Android updates are more like Windows Desktop than they are phone updates. Most people owning an Android phone don't know what version of the OS they have, their home screen still looks like it came out of the box, and in many cases there is very little customization of the phone. Sounds a lot like most people's Windows desktop - including the IE browser that came with it. So you can continue to rant about iOS or Android and it isn't going to change anything about the Windows Mobile Ecosystem to make it more attractive to developers or customers.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The old Google is annoying (or other insult) is kind of amusing from Windows Phone fans. The reason I say this is because if you want to remain loyal to MS you really don't have to use any Google apps on an Android phone. AND, the MS apps on Android are actually much better than the Microsoft apps on Windows Phone. How do I know this - I have had 2 Lumia 520s (they are both serving as MP3/podcast players) and a Lumia 635. And I believe this will continue to be the case going forward because Services is a key component (especially with Windows revenue going down) and they have to go where the money (or customers are, as the case might be) is and that is iOS and Android. Windows Mobile was and will continue to be a black hole for MS and only exists because they need to have a hardware presence in the phone space.
I say that Google is annoying, because I don't like the way they are with information (unless something has changed). Also, with a number of Google things, you can't uninstall them. You can only disable it, at most so it doesn't run in the background. In my small experience with Android through my mom's phone, I can't uninstall Facebook, and other apps I don't use or wouldn't use at all. I like to uninstall what I don't use. Microsoft seems not to have many of those kinds of apps. Also, if I don't use or open said apps, I would never see them in use in Battery Saver.

It's fine for you to believe that Windows Mobile is a black hole, just like it's fine for me to say that Google is annoying because I truly believe that they are. If I was ever to use Droid, it would have to be some kind of mod because regular Droid with Google isn't impressive to me.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Android - I don't like Android because i cant control what runs in the background, thus battery life sucks.
Jolla - One Phone, 3 years old, need i say more.

Android - yes, you can. And battery life will vary depending on the device you pick, just like with everything else. My Xperia Z3C lasts me 2 days on a single charge and moderate use.

Jolla - That's because Jolla has already announced they aren't going to produce another phone. They're now focusing on Sailfish as an OS to license to other phone manufacturers (well...at least until Nokia puts an end to it and buys them back into Nokia anyway.)

miniracer2003

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
If you want to get some serious work done, get an android. Job done. If you want to experiment a bit, be with windows.
Even high end lumias are not as 'productive' as Android. Lumias have the style, quality and looks + the camera. But they will not get the work done.

I beg to differ. My Lumia 640 has been handily outperforming my coworkers' iPhone 6's and Galaxy S6's. Our work requires us to use our phones very heavily with multiple apps open such as Maps, Messaging, Camera, and a walkie-talkie app all at the same time. The most surprising part is that my inexpensive Lumia 640 takes pictures that are on par with iPhone and close to Samsung quality. Needless to say, I whole-heartedly disagree.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
After using iPhone for almost 5 years, recently I switched to Lumia 1520 because my iPhone 5s was broken. What I really like about WP is the tiles. I can get information like weather, email and text messages without opening an app. It is quite cool and innovative for me. After upgrading to windows mobile 10, I find WP is even more sophisticated and very good to use. I must say, the operating system it self has no problem. The problem is insuficcient and not-optimized APP for WP.

Therefore, I will switch back to iPhone.

Wow.. you are able to read emails from its tile.... amazing. I wonder how the email body fit well into the tile. And the text must be very tiny. Unlike you, if I want to use an app, I will simply launch it - tiles or icons doesn't matter to me. So, all this flipping of tiles and displaying of information doesn't amaze me at all.

On the other hand, I find the new Force Touch on iOS is amazing. It brings user straight right into the respective action of the apps. I know apps on WP can do the same things as well, but will require the user to pin multiple different tiles on the home screen - making the screen looking like a big mess.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I beg to differ. My Lumia 640 has been handily outperforming my coworkers' iPhone 6's and Galaxy S6's. Our work requires us to use our phones very heavily with multiple apps open such as Maps, Messaging, Camera, and a walkie-talkie app all at the same time. The most surprising part is that my inexpensive Lumia 640 takes pictures that are on par with iPhone and close to Samsung quality. Needless to say, I whole-heartedly disagree.

Same. My 640 is waaay faster than my friends 6 plus. 6plus!!!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Gonna get me a new laptop soon, so its a given that when I do move away from my L830 .. it's gonna will be a WP too...

Ron Chen

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow.. you are able to read emails from its tile.... amazing. I wonder how the email body fit well into the tile. And the text must be very tiny. Unlike you, if I want to use an app, I will simply launch it - tiles or icons doesn't matter to me. So, all this flipping of tiles and displaying of information doesn't amaze me at all.

On the other hand, I find the new Force Touch on iOS is amazing. It brings user straight right into the respective action of the apps. I know apps on WP can do the same things as well, but will require the user to pin multiple different tiles on the home screen - making the screen looking like a big mess.

Well, for Lumia 1520, the words are not such "tiny" on tiles. Besides, I mention I will get more information from tiles, not read the whole email. You only got how many emails unread from icons on iPhone. But you can pine more than on email account on the start menu. And I think sometimes after you get the information about who send the email and the first several words of the email, you will get the idea if it worth "reading" whole email.

But I agree with you that 3D touch is a great innovation. Why android or WP did not come up with this first?

Fairly speaking, iOS has been developed for almost 10 years. It is more mature and well-developed operating system. It just works. For WP, there are too many "start it over". I hope that based on windows mobile 10, after 5 years from now, I will choose to buy WP again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb