What features does iOS have that W10M doesn't?

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
re:

...and wireless charging, Wifi Sense with temporary wifi.

Anyway, this must be an US based topic: buy too expensive subsidised phones on contract.
Where the rest of the world is more sensible and buys unlocked phones.

Better compare with Android.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
re:

It would make my day knowing how to do this between my WIndows Phone and Surface Pro 3:
- Enable disable the Windows Phone internet sharing feature from my Surface Pro 3. I'm tired of reaching to my pocket to enable Internet Sharing then talking my SP3 out to work. I tried leaving it on all the time, but the problem is that it happened that while at home or the office SP3 actually connected to the phone rather the local Wifi. So its not a solution.

I do this all the time with first Gen surface pro. Phone is on the charger, I pull up the connections setting, click on my hotspot, connect and carry on. Never have to touch my phone.

Bjoli

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

the 3d touch is really intuitive which is a smart approach of the right click. Microsoft was supposed to capitalize on that but they are wasting time trying to catch up linearly with the competition. however coming with anything innovative is futile because no one appreciates it until apple come out with it.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
re:

the 3d touch is really intuitive which is a smart approach of the right click. Microsoft was supposed to capitalize on that but they are wasting time trying to catch up linearly with the competition. however coming with anything innovative is futile because no one appreciates it until apple come out with it.

Isn't it the same as holding down to pull up a contextual menu? Windows phone "capitalized" on that long ago.

Miti 1982

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

I have a foot on both ecosystems. Here are a few points about iOS:

1. Consistent and reliable update and upgrade track. IPhone 4S, a four year old device is still on the main update track. I bought a Windows Phone for 200 euros at start of the year and still don't know if it will get Windows 10. Furthermore if we take past experience, even if I had bought the Lumia 930, which I almost did, I wouldn't have a clue how well it would support. Maybe very well, maybe very badly. The second happened before.

2. Carrier independent...

I had to think long before deciding to reply but I am going to do it since this post shows how lack of knowledge of something leads to the wrong conclusions. I will use the same numbering to share my view on each point.

I will share in advance that I have a Lumia 930 as my day-to-day personal phone and an iPhone 4S provided by my company.

1. The is nothing consistent about an iPhone 4S with iOS 9... the only iOS 9 things that I got are a new Wallet icon, a new Siri view and the battery saver. I would rather have stayed with iOS 7 but since iOS 8 had already killed it I hope the latest and greatest from Apple would improve on its poor battery life a bit. And that is while only using it for email synchronization.

2. This is a thing only if you buy the phone from the carrier so I don't care. Anyway, I think it was mentioned that Microsoft will be moving to this model with W10M.

3. Never faced this issue on WP8.1 nor while using the W10M Insider Preview but perhaps is device specific.

4. Same on this one. I have W10 on 4 machines and never had an issue with missing notifications.

5. If you think apps don't crash is because you haven't used iOS 8 or 9 on an iPhone 4S. Also, if you have little memory left apps will crash. I have an iPad Air with 16GB and Mortal Kombat X crashes 30% of the times I try to resume it. I do agree though even Microsoft need to work on their apps to make them more reliable on Windows 10.

6. This is coming in W10M and I already had the opportunity to reply to an SMS from the notification. Do note that this feature needs to be included in the app to work even though the OS supports it.

7. Key point - f your provider supports it.

8. This is the same as it was with Skype in WP 7.5 and it will be coming back in W10M. The only difference is that this will work with any user who has Skype as opposed to iMessage which works only with iOS.

9. That sophisticated way is called Bluetooth. As for the features you mention.. I was able to reply to SMS using Nokia Suite even before the iPhone existed. Microsoft will be bringing the feature to Windows 10. Continuity already works across Office 2013 and 2016 with my recent files history synched and all files available s long as they are saved in OneDrive. And the feature is available to developers as an API.

10. I would rather have 3 gestures and long press than having to memorize the yellow pages of gestures that Apple has. And who uses 4 fingers to go back to the home screen when you just need to press the home button??? In W10 if you slide from the left you see all your open apps and now available in iOS 9 through hard press + slide from the left.

11. Have you heard of "Play to" in Windows 7? And if you think that DLNA has limited support then I think there is nothing to keep talking about. And I don't really see what's flexible about you need to buy Apple TV to do something that others do for free.

12. Actually to change the Store country you just need to go to the Settings, change the country and restart the phone. For example TripIt and TripAdvisor aps are not available in Bulgaria so I just change the country to UK, install them and then switch back.

13. Family sharing is a good thing and I do hope Microsoft get it as well. Although I use only free apps so see no need for it.

14. Same as 13 so not sure why you repeated it.

15. That's a nice to have and it depends on vendor support. WP8.1 has 3rd party apps for some devices although I don't have such so I can't really comment.

16. OK.

17. Haven't seen much difference so I guess it is personal experience.

And finally to make the point on the pricing... please let me know when you are able to get a 200 EUR iPhone that will be supported for 4 years. I would buy several! :smile:

Miti 1982

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

How is this different from Jump Lists which exist since Windows 7 and are accessible through a long press (i.e. right click)?

For example I can long press on Outlook and select to directly write a new email or send an invite. When I do the same on the Origin client I can choose to directly launch a game, etc. It is again dependent on developer adoption though.

The reason I think this is a gimmick is because Apple could have added the functionality as a long press by making "delete app" part of the menu along with the rest of the options.

This would have removed another reason for getting the new phone though as all current users would have gotten it.

rajthampi

May 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

Hello Talal

You missed out one of the best capabilities of iOS/Android with the listing. Background services. Windows phone OS has limited capacity to let applications stay connected in the background. If you are coming from late 90s and early 2000, iRC was one of the most famous chat platforms, still a favorite place for Linuxers & gangs ;). None of the clients can insure that you stay connected to iRC servers because they cannot support PUSH in Windows Phone OS. A majority of the legacy services which are depending upon open sockets cannot perform properly in Windows phone OS as the connections are dropped as soon as you open another app... Well, you can't even download your offline MAPS properly in case if you move away from the download page.

I got my 920 the day it was launched in Kuwait, bought myself a 1020 as soon it was available, and when I travel, unfortunately I have to carry my Android device :). I hope saying that, the community realizes the pain.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
re:

There are plenty.
1. Still can not select any audio/song from music as a ringtone. Ringtone makes is no excuae.
2. Can not set custome tone for messages, mails, alarms, calender, whatsapp etc. Default 5-6 are there.
3. Can not lock photos, contacts, messages, mails.
4. IE is crap. No scroll bar to browse very long pages. Can not select always show desktop site as default as in chrome. Crashes sometime. Even loging in to windowscentral is headache. Have to keep trying/reloading 3-4 times to log is successfully.
5. No default handwriting ability or with any other available app for that matter.
6. Still no USB OTG after so many years. Old devices used to do it without any buzzing USB type -C sh!t. (N8 is best example)
7. Bluetooth transfer is worst. If failed halfway, you loose all what was transfered before. Always have to pair in bluetooth settings before transfer. There is bluetooth toggle but is it useless as after turning it on, you must go to settings, pair the device and then transfer. Any step forgotten, do it all over again.
8. But for wifi toggle doesnt work. It goes to settings just to turn it off.
9. Cant select multiple files in music to share via bluetooth.
10. Storage sense is a showbiz. Not effective atall.
11. SD storage implementation is extremely poor.
12. Still can not have all downloads at one single place.
13. Not all files can be received or sent via email.
14. In office, you need to go to "recent" to create new document. You can not do it if you are at "places".
15. Apps - is a long story.
16. Store - can not remove an uninstalled app which I installed just as a trial from "downloads history". That way it keeps on growing as I explore different apps and then uninstall and may never use again. Search is, well explained by another person before.
17. Can not manage calender from device completely. Needs web access to do that. Limited use on device.
18. Downloading maps - renders phone useless till its over and you need to keep phone from locking or turning off screen as it will stop download. If I am on slow connection, I have to keep staring at my phone while on the downloading page and touch display to prevent standby. What a joke. Even while checking map updates I need to prevent standby orelse it will keep searching for updates indefinitely. This is true for most of the downloads like whatsapp, emails.

I dont want any hifi gimmiks like 3d touch, universal apps, cortana(as such does not work in my country), 21 mp camera, wireless charging, continum or whatever. But basics should be clear which most of the people do use on any device every moment.

Last edited:

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
re:

Windows may lack in some useless features or settings such as mono audio but still Windows Phone has everything and I repeat EVERYTHING a user would want in a phone.

Everything but apps. I know the point has been discussed ad nauseam, but it really is the biggest, some would say the only, problem. The biggest apps (except Snapchat) are not the problem, we are talking the local apps, like banking.

Universal apps is a big improvement, but sideloading apps has been tried before on BlackBerry 10, without Google Play services it doesn't work very well.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

I know how it feels when microsoft abandoned the 7.5 users with a mere cosmetic update. Many bashed upon microsoft then.
WP8 was not just a mere cosmetic update, they changed the kernel from Windows CE to Windows NT, the same that is used in the desktop Windows 8/8.1/10. That was the reason, why WP7 devices couldn't upgrade to WP8

I have a foot on both ecosystems. Here are a few points about iOS:

1. Consistent and reliable update and upgrade track. IPhone 4S, a four year old device is still on the main update track. I bought a Windows Phone for 200 euros at start of the year and still don't know if it will get Windows 10. Furthermore if we take past experience, even if I had bought the Lumia 930, which I almost did, I wouldn't have a clue how well it would support. Maybe very well, maybe very badly. The second happened before.
2. Carrier independent upgrades regardless if it locked or unlocked. That is, updates come directly from Apple at the same time to everyone regardless of the carrier.
6. You can reply on the Notification/Quickview.

1. If you can run insider preview, you already have windows 10
2. Microsoft are working towards that with W10M
6. The latest build of W10 can do that

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
re:

Hello Talal

You missed out one of the best capabilities of iOS/Android with the listing. Background services. Windows phone OS has limited capacity to let applications stay connected in the background. If you are coming from late 90s and early 2000, iRC was one of the most famous chat platforms, still a favorite place for Linuxers & gangs ;). None of the clients can insure that you stay connected to iRC servers because they cannot support PUSH in Windows Phone OS. A majority of the legacy services which are depending upon open sockets cannot perform properly in Windows phone OS as the connections are dropped as soon as you open another app... Well, you can't even download your offline MAPS properly in case if you move away from the download page.

I got my 920 the day it was launched in Kuwait, bought myself a 1020 as soon it was available, and when I travel, unfortunately I have to carry my Android device :). I hope saying that, the community realizes the pain.

These are available in Windows 10. Now its up to developers to enable them

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

I do this all the time with first Gen surface pro. Phone is on the charger, I pull up the connections setting, click on my hotspot, connect and carry on. Never have to touch my phone.

So you have enabled internet sharing (hotspot) on the phone all the time. Right? No you don't do this.

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

WP8 was not just a mere cosmetic update, they changed the kernel from Windows CE to Windows NT, the same that is used in the desktop Windows 8/8.1/10. That was the reason, why WP7 devices couldn't upgrade to WP8

1. If you can run insider preview, you already have windows 10
2. Microsoft are working towards that with W10M
6. The latest build of W10 can do that

As I said. for me the biggest "feature" MS has at the moment is price flexibility. I'm sure in general terms we can say MS is working towards all the points mentioned and some.

But if the company asks me the same $600 or more for the best experience for what it can offer as it did in the pastr, with the same old perspective of working towards all the things I wrote, I think it perfectly reasonable to admit that people will not buy premium windows phones unless you are a brand head! Working towards is just not good in enough now, since that is always, always what they have been saying year, in year out, constantly stepping over their own feet. For instance XBOX One was promised Miracast two years ago, is one of the things that is most asked, but somehow it does not fit in the MS protective agenda of XBOX One marketplace and is still in preview foe how long? Windows 10 is suppose to be it! Not once again, working towards with distractions such as Windows Continuum form Phones.

It is quite interesting that Windows aficionados say that Apple is all about the brand. That is not true. I'm not saying that I like the crowds filling up the queues to buy the next "best" thing. There is something pathologically unhealthy about that behavior. But is also unhealthy coming up with feature check lists that we all know that it only creates a virtual reality since the experience and robustness is not there. You can say that bikes are vehicles but definitely they don't offer the same experience as cars do.

I see Windows experts crying out loud for windows flagships stating that one of the problems is the missing Windows flagships for such a long time. This is something that any seasoned iPhone user does not understand at all. When the Lumia 920 with Windows 8 came out it was a extremely nice piece of hardware: 32GB, wireless charging, nice camera, nice design. But it came out at $650 dollars going directly against the iPhone 5 with a system that all the problems above solved and some.

Last edited:

afripino

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
re:

Keyboard shortcuts!!!! That is one awesome feature of iOS that I wish Windows phone had. For example, I can type out my whole email address into forms by just typing two letters. The same goes for usernames and any phrases that I use often.

One feature windows phone has that iOS doesn't is decent unread email notifications. When I go to the mail app, I want it to reset the unread email counter. This way, the count on the tile/icon shows how many unread emails I have since the last time I checked. iOS just persists with the unread count whereas Windows phone shows it the way I like.

Microsoft still has a long way to go, but it will be interesting to see what they can come up with and actually deliver this time around. I'll be watching the announcement with a lot of anticipation for the future. I just hope they don't over promise and under deliver this time around (I'm looking at you, live lock screen!).

Posted from my iPhone 6s+ :(
Giving my Lumia Icon a much needed rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon