Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

Besliu Florin

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
tonight I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821) and I am proud it. However, the phone is from Vodafone IT and now is (SIM) unlocked and I hate the Vodafone Logo when phone starts.
1. can I change the firmware with one international, without logo operator??
2. If they do so, it is possible to return the SIM locked phone?

Many thanks and sorry for my bad english

EvilLazyBoy

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I need some help please.
My black 920 (AT&T) got the crappy update and its basically useless right now. The phone still works (not bricked) but Nokia Care Suite won't detect the firmware I downloaded.

I followed all the steps on page 1 up to:
"8. You should see the firmware you downloaded and copied earlier under the Properties field."
But I don't see anything..

Also, since my phone works I'm not sure when do I need to plug it in.

Please help - thanks!

Timbo512

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you go into the setting on the Tool and set the path correctly. Then hit the update button under the firmware box in the tool. Ensure your status in the tool is offline. Even if its working, just following the connection direction.

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! The only thing that was odd was I had to create Nokia/Packages/Products. Even though I have show hidden files and folders that directory was not created after the download so I just created it. I had a bit of trouble with holding with the soft reset then holding the volume up button - I did it a few times before it took and flashed. Other than that this went exactly like you described. The video was helpful as well. So thanks because I really didn't want to give back my hardware. I have had NO trouble with my Lumia 920 until the Nokia update pushed out a few nights ago. Right after that update I lost my GPS location (It said I was in New York and I am in Los Angeles.) That can happen after restart but it usually rights itself. After days it didn't so I messed around with maps (zooming in etc.) and got it to right itself but also noticed most of my live tiles were no longer updating. The battery app, weather apps, etc. would not update the live tile unless I launched the apps. I couldn't get that to correct itself (and I only have 10 apps allowed to run in the background and update.) So I finally was looking at a hard reset. I did the hard reset and then it hung showing gears for 4 hours! That is when I found this thread. So thank you!! p.s. be careful with the recent Nokia update since it obviously went very badly for me. Sandy

TwistedVIP

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Totally was looking at the Navifirm wrong, hope they are coming out with a fix soon. Last time I tried to reflash my phone, more problems came with it.

Last edited:

drewj4rvis

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for this, I used

RM-820 VAR AMERICA CA ROGERSWIR SL RED
for my Red Lumia 920 on Rogers in Canada
(1232.5951.1249.0001)

First time it crashed and left me with an reddish nokia splash screen, did it a 2nd time and it all worked.

Also... "No" thanks to XBOX Music support who got me to brick my phone in the 1st place while trying to fix the error where I couldn't play back any of my music following the end of the free trial. Then told me it wasn't their issue that I had bricked my phone and to contact my carrier.

luetchyboy

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Try this: go to the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Driver' folder. There should be two uninstalled drivers. If you have Win7 64 bit, install 'WinUSB Drivers x64. If you have Win7 32, bit install 'WinUSB Drivers x86'. Now you should be able to go past step 4 if you do everything in the same way as before!

I had exactly the same problem, not beeing able to go past step 3. This tutorial helped me: Nokia Care Suite Tutorial - YouTube

This x100 solved my problem of the flash not starting.

SER1ALZ

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Whats the latest Nokia Care Suite for x64? I have a version installed but it wont find my lumia 920

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, just did this for my 820. Had to change the name of the folder of course to rm-824. Just used the versions in the OP even though I have WP8 x64. After updating the VC++ files worked great first time on a bricked 820.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
ok, I'm having major problems. I noticed that my contacts weren't syncing with my Microsoft account so I decided to do a factory rest. after I did this I had the spinning wheels so I decided to follow these steps. I did but after I got a red background and a nokia logo with a status bar but it didn't move then suddenly it stopped. I tried to do it again but the phone wont do anything when I hold the power button + vol down. I honestly feel like I'm pretty much screwed because as far as I know these stuff void the warranty. any help would be more than helpful.

blackhawk556

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
This thread saved my phone. Thank you very much. The reason I did a reset in the first place was because the 1308 update caused my tiles to not update new content anymore. The apps that I noticed that didn't update anymore were wpcentral, chronos calendar, weave, battery tile, usa today. 1314 update didn't help either.

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that. My primary reason was also live tiles not updating and I was interested in knowing if the 1314 update fixed that. Sorry it didn't and you landed here. I was pushed out 1314 yesterday - or I assumed it was 1314 after doing a bunch of reading first to make sure 1308 was indeed halted as they do not tell you when they push it out what "number" you are actually getting. I installed 1314 yesterday (very nervously) and thank God everything is fine :wink:. One reason I have stayed with Nokia is the flash - I flashed my N900 as well. It allows you to keep "your own" hardware which is a far better idea than getting refurbished. Glad you are up and seeing those live tiles update! p.s. The ones you mentioned that did not update were the same for me and some were not - I had some updating and some not, it was weird for sure. Glad it over now : )

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
ok, I'm having major problems. I noticed that my contacts weren't syncing with my Microsoft account so I decided to do a factory rest. after I did this I had the spinning wheels so I decided to follow these steps. I did but after I got a red background and a nokia logo with a status bar but it didn't move then suddenly it stopped. I tried to do it again but the phone wont do anything when I hold the power button + vol down. I honestly feel like I'm pretty much screwed because as far as I know these stuff void the warranty. any help would be more than helpful.
I wish I could give you more help here but don't know enough about the process to trouble shoot if failure occurs. I do not think they will know you tried this though... the reps I have dealt with at AT&T are not real "tech experts." Simply don't tell them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2