WP8.1 GDR1 - update downloaded couldn't be opened

RvN68

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
My ATIV S had no problems with the update.
Coworker, also ATIV S, had same issue with the error.
After doing a 'Factory Reset' the update installed with no problem.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Originally Posted by abhirajsoni
I downgraded my device. Which was earlier cyan+dp. Now after downgraded its 8.1dp+gdr1.. So I think downgrading is the only solution right now. Although I lost cyan update now. Coz in extras+info, it shows Lumia black.
This is the only way guys!

kmilkovic

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
reverted back to WP8.0 and used DPreview to install all the previous updates to get to WP8.1 Update 1, it took a while but it worked...

Can anyone help me? I tried to downgrade to wp8, but when I connect my lumia with pc, it won't find any updates. How can i downgrade it.

I'm on wp 8.1 dp, lumia cyannokia recovery.JPG

abhirajsoni

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
That's strange. I didn't lose Cyan. After downgrade to 8.0 you need to immediately update to official Cyan+8.1 and after you confirm you have Cyan only then install and enable DP app. It could be that you've installed small update which prepares 8.0 for 8.1 update and then proceeded with installing DP before downloading Cyan.

I am ok with it because official cyan didn't bring anything new. It was the same as the dp 8.1.

Adriano Quirino

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
It worked! Did Microsoft fixed the error? Cause I didn't do anything special.

After two times getting the 0x80188308 error during the day, I "Check for updates" at night and, while it was downloading and preparing to install, I put the phone on charge and I fell asleep (40 minutes later). When I woke up in the morning, the "Install now" screen was there and it took almost 20 minutes on the Gear Screen and 20 more minutes to migrating data.

I didn't hard reset, I didn't soft reset, I didn't downgrade, I didn't used Recovery Tool.

My phone is a Lumia 820, I still with Amber and I use US for location. The battery was 100 percent because the phone was charging all the night.

The ones who was getting the 0x80188308 error, please, try again. I really hope the issue is fixed for everybody!

(sorry for my bad english)

Michael Highley

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This worked perfect for me - I have a Ativ S

I made a backup
Settings -> info -> reset
Didn't restore backup after restart
Install Preview for Developer
Update
Restore backup after restart

Followed these instructions and just installed the update successfully !
Wasn't keen on the hard reset but phone is working better than ever now!

Stefan Ilchev

May 6, 2014
Visit site

I made a backup
Update

would you explane to me which one ativ s do you have and with what csc ? Because iv made exactly the same thing - reset the phone , install DP and tried to update but not any preogress till then. Same error. Which is the region and the language you have at the moment also ?

Arievl

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Like multiple users posted already, there seems to be a fix to the errors.

I got WP 8.1 with Cyan as a developer preview user, just before Microsoft halted the update because of the Bitlocker problem. Using Nokia Software Recovery I have downgraded my Lumia 625 (CV, Dutch) to WP 8.0 with Lumia Black. After that I got a minor update making my phone ready for 8.1 and the next update was the official "non-DevPreview" OTA 8.1, which came with Cyan.

Then I installed the developer preview app again and got the 8.1.1 update, which cleanly installed without the aforementioned error.

So I can confirm that downgrading a L625 to 8.0 with Lumia Black helps in getting the latest update. For the people who don't want to reinstall everything again: make an update before you do this procedure. After you get the 8.1.1 you can do a hard reset and reinstall the backup.

Oh, another thing: the 1,39 gigabyte update was downloaded twice by the Software Recovery tool before it 'caught on'. Seems to be a known hickup with the tool.

Ciao,
Arie

kmilkovic

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

I made a backup
Update

I tried this method but the error is the same

HeadHunt3rz

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem-
Lumia 520
Firmware: Lumia Black
8.1 Dev Preview
Locked to the Telstra NextG
Had the error 0x80188308 twice
1.1 gig free

Have my region set to the US instead of Australia just to use Cortana (May or may not be the issue)

Running the update again, to see if I get the same thing. I'll report back once it's done

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Like multiple users posted already, there seems to be a fix to the errors.

I got WP 8.1 with Cyan as a developer preview user, just before Microsoft halted the update because of the Bitlocker problem. Using Nokia Software Recovery I have downgraded my Lumia 625 (CV, Dutch) to WP 8.0 with Lumia Black. After that I got a minor update making my phone ready for 8.1 and the next update was the official "non-DevPreview" OTA 8.1, which came with Cyan.

Then I installed the developer preview app again and got the 8.1.1 update, which cleanly installed without the aforementioned error.

So I can confirm that downgrading a L625 to 8.0 with Lumia Black helps in getting the latest update. For the people who don't want to reinstall everything again: make an update before you do this procedure. After you get the 8.1.1 you can do a hard reset and reinstall the backup.

Oh, another thing: the 1,39 gigabyte update was downloaded twice by the Software Recovery tool before it 'caught on'. Seems to be a known hickup with the tool.

Ciao,
Arie

Likewise. Lumia 925 with 8.1 from before the BitLocker issue. Must be some sort of versioning problem with the 8.1.1 Update not releasing it's newer than the 8.1 update. I downgraded using NSR to 8 and followed the same steps and am now installing 8.1.1. Bit of a hassle, but given it's a dev preview can't complain.

Geo L

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Finally it worked for me too.
I followed the steps posted by a user:
" made a backup
Update
Restore backup after restart"
Restore backup after restart did not work. I did a backup but there is no backup available.
Anyway I lost some useful app. I had Interop unlock and is gone.
I will not do it again, I mean the Interop unlock, not really use since the WP 8.1, just one application was useful to me.

Stefan Ilchev

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Damn, am i the best unluckiest user in the whole world ?!? I did that already 4 times and nothing. Share please what language was your cell, what csc has and what region?

anon(8768871)

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
SOLVED!
1*backup
2*Nokia Software Recovery Tool
3*update to official 8.1/cyan
4*restore
5*activate dev preview app and install GDR1
it was a pain in the ****, but it worked

HeadHunt3rz

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem-
Lumia 520
Firmware: Lumia Black
8.1 Dev Preview
Locked to the Telstra NextG
Had the error 0x80188308 twice
1.1 gig free

Have my region set to the US instead of Australia just to use Cortana (May or may not be the issue)

Running the update again, to see if I get the same thing. I'll report back once it's done

Just did it again, didn't get the error this time, I'll try adjusting my region now haha

Barack Obamagneto

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Its worthy to install this update into the L925 with 8.1 Cyan? I have a problem about overheating and freezing (thats a general problem as I read in a lot of forums), I wanna solve this. If this GDR1 will solve it, I will try Ogi96's solution, viz Backup, etc. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oscahill