Operation #MobileEquality: Let's Convince Companies to Bring Apps to Windows Phone

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Alright guys, I've got a long-term plan. What I'm wanting to do is gather a large, active following from just firing shots in all directions, then once the audience is big enough, we all blast one company at a time.
Well I think that people should starting naming companies with Apps that haven't made an app for windows phone, and just fire away then we go for big companies.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
almost a month later, and only 100 followers.

you need to post on Slashdot or reddit, to bring out all the wp users.

the wpcentral membership is not enough to wake up/shake up companies.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
almost a month later, and only 100 followers.

you need to post on Slashdot or reddit, to bring out all the wp users.

the wpcentral membership is not enough to wake up/shake up companies.

true, we should go to reddit then.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never been on Reddit before. Can someone explain to me (for lack of a better phrase) how to reddit to gain the most followers.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
If I may : In my country we are still waiting for a "yelo" app from our internetprovider "telenet".
The app has been available for android and ios from the start of the service.

Still they are not planning to do one for WP because of "market shares".

I made a Facebook Page about it, so that everyone can sign up and click like.
Maybe with enough likes, they will finally listen to us that want this feature.
(Belgium has a few million WP users of which about 3-400000 customer of telenet.)

So that is 400,000 ppl left in the cold.

I want to make it very clear to Telenet that they need to make the app.

Here's the FB Page, but in Dutch language... :

https://www.facebook.com/yelovoorwindowsphone

Just click on the like button for us please ?
The more the better. Just press "Like" and maybe add comments and stuff...

Thanks for anyone wanting to help us Dutchers reach that goal...

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe with enough likes, they will finally listen to us that want this feature.
(Belgium has a few million WP users of which about 3-400000 customer of telenet.)

So that is 400,000 ppl left in the cold.

Belgium only has a population of 11 million. Where are you getting numbers from?

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Belgium only has a population of 11 million. Where are you getting numbers from?

Those are all WP devices ever bought in Belgium, so not only the currently registered devices...

Maybe you guys like percentages more ? WP market share in Belgium is currently (only) about 7-8%...

There are several millions of phones registered today in Belgium.
Meer dan 10 miljoen gsm-abonnees in Belgi? - HLN.be
In 2007 there were already 10 million cell phone subscriptions (prepaid and contracts), and anno 2014 that numbers has risen...eventhough there are only 11 million ppl in the country. Now how about that ?

8% of that is still about 800,000 WP users, of which actually allmost half have Telenet as current digital tv carrier, who provides "yelo tv" to its digital tv customers, but only provide an app for Android and iOS users.

A couple hundred thousand users is a lot to leave out in the cold, which is why we need something like that to find more support for pushing Telenet to change their mind. But even if it was only 10,000 it would still be a lot of ppl to block "yelo" access to...

Grtz.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Those are all WP devices ever bought in Belgium, so not only the currently registered devices...

Maybe you guys like percentages more ? WP market share in Belgium is currently (only) about 7-8%...

There are several millions of phones registered today in Belgium.
Meer dan 10 miljoen gsm-abonnees in Belgi? - HLN.be
In 2007 there were already 10 million cell phone subscriptions (prepaid and contracts), and anno 2014 that numbers has risen...eventhough there are only 11 million ppl in the country. Now how about that ?

8% of that is still about 800,000 WP users, of which actually allmost half have Telenet as current digital tv carrier, who provides "yelo tv" to its digital tv customers, but only provide an app for Android and iOS users.

A couple hundred thousand users is a lot to leave out in the cold, which is why we need something like that to find more support for pushing Telenet to change their mind. But even if it was only 10,000 it would still be a lot of ppl to block "yelo" access to...

Grtz.

>90% of that populatiin have cellphones ? wow, I didn't realize they were that prevelant.

even at 7-8%, you have to keep in mind that everyone of those wp users is not interested in xyz app from ABC company.

if 50% of them were , and there was money to be made from 25% of THAT group, now you're seeing the actual valued hits.

for instance, there are (round hypothetical number to make it easy) 1 million wp users in alabama. 50% of them care what xyz news agency has for propoga.... oops I mean "news", or 123bank has for a checking fee. so, 500,000 possible users. of that subset, 10% will click links to the ads. we're down to 50,000 impresinable users. of those users, let's be generous and say 5% will actually go through the annoyance of changing bank accounts to xyz bank, or switching to occasionally watching the propogand.... sorry, I meant "news channel" daily.

you see now why it takes HUGE numbers to elicite response from big businesses.

make sense ?

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
>90% of that populatiin have cellphones ? wow, I didn't realize they were that prevelant.

even at 7-8%, you have to keep in mind that everyone of those wp users is not interested in xyz app from ABC company.

if 50% of them were , and there was money to be made from 25% of THAT group, now you're seeing the actual valued hits.

for instance, there are (round hypothetical number to make it easy) 1 million wp users in alabama. 50% of them care what xyz news agency has for propoga.... oops I mean "news", or 123bank has for a checking fee. so, 500,000 possible users. of that subset, 10% will click links to the ads. we're down to 50,000 impresinable users. of those users, let's be generous and say 5% will actually go through the annoyance of changing bank accounts to xyz bank, or switching to occasionally watching the propogand.... sorry, I meant "news channel" daily.

you see now why it takes HUGE numbers to elicite response from big businesses.

make sense ?

Off course it does... I do realise that. It is the only reason why they still decide not to go into it. But that's why that FB page is there.
Because as said, even if it is only 10,000 users or even only 5,000...they have EQUAL rights as customers to get access to the same PAYED features.

The actual numbers imo are completely irrelevant, if you must know.
Even if it was only 1 user, that user has the right to access "yelo tv" on his smartphone, simply because he pays for it like all other customers.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the chap above, you need more exposure. Since I followed, I'm seeing a good deal of activity on Twitter, but we could always do with more.

Get on Reddit, Facebook, other Windows Phone websites and just get the word out. The more the merrier, all it takes for people is a simple follow. They don't need to do anything, as long as the companies in questions see the account has a sizable following, that's more than enough.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Off course it does... I do realise that. It is the only reason why they still decide not to go into it. But that's why that FB page is there.
Because as said, even if it is only 10,000 users or even only 5,000...they have EQUAL rights as customers to get access to the same PAYED features.

The actual numbers imo are completely irrelevant, if you must know.
Even if it was only 1 user, that user has the right to access "yelo tv" on his smartphone, simply because he pays for it like all other customers.

rights to access is stretching the truth.
the truth is that you are a customer, or prospective customer. the company has as much responsibility to build, publish, and support an app foot your operating system of choice as they do to build a bridge from your house to the sky:

which is none

should they also build an app for all the engineers using cobal, SPARC, machine code obscured by 20 years of innovation?

I hope your see the point that your wish is not the same as their responsibility.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the chap above, you need more exposure. Since I followed, I'm seeing a good deal of activity on Twitter, but we could always do with more.

Get on Reddit, Facebook, other Windows Phone websites and just get the word out. The more the merrier, all it takes for people is a simple follow. They don't need to do anything, as long as the companies in questions see the account has a sizable following, that's more than enough.

Exactly.

I'm not even gonna keep discussing whether the company has the responsability or not.
On "paper" maybe they don't...but that's the biggest issue of our "age" imo, is that these companies really don't have their "ethics" straight.
It is simply unethical to provide something for one customer, but not for the other. If they decide to promote an app extensively in saying (and litterally making the "promise") to "watch digital tv on EVERY smartphone, everytime and everywhere"...and then don't follow up on that promise.

It is simply unethical, regardless of what kind of contracts they are trying to uphold, or what kind of "responsability" they have put on paper.
They made a promise, but then decided to only partially uphold that promise...I hope you also can see the point in this. What's defined on paper is not always the right thing.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

I'm not even gonna keep discussing whether the company has the responsability or not.
On "paper" maybe they don't...but that's the biggest issue of our "age" imo, is that these companies really don't have their "ethics" straight.
It is simply unethical to provide something for one customer, but not for the other. If they decide to promote an app extensively in saying (and litterally making the "promise") to "watch digital tv on EVERY smartphone, everytime and everywhere"...and then don't follow up on that promise.

It is simply unethical, regardless of what kind of contracts they are trying to uphold, or what kind of "responsability" they have put on paper.
They made a promise, but then decided to only partially uphold that promise...I hope you also can see the point in this. What's defined on paper is not always the right thing.

there is no truth in advertising.

every smart phone, everywhere? that means a palm treo , at the north pole, during a sollar flare, pretty much.

the truth would be more like: if you have a current smart phone, with no other asps running, we can eaves drop on, and pay our highest contract, within 1/2 a mile of our newest tower, anytime there isn't a new iPhone released, or a galaxy update, or weather, or a foot ball game, or 5pm... etc

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but please consider the below points:

1. Companies are not in business to be 'ethical'. They are in business to make money. If it costs more to make such an app than they would see in profits from those users, they will not do it. Simples.

2. What is on paper is absolutely what matters. You should have read your contract.

3. Santa Claus isn't real

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I think that saying that a single user has a right to access is a bit of a stretch in this case. But even if it were a right, it's the user's choice. The app is available. The WP user is choosing not to have access to it. The same for all those who do not have smartphones.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
there is no truth in advertising.

every smart phone, everywhere? that means a palm treo , at the north pole, during a sollar flare, pretty much.

the truth would be more like: if you have a current smart phone, with no other asps running, we can eaves drop on, and pay our highest contract, within 1/2 a mile of our newest tower, anytime there isn't a new iPhone released, or a galaxy update, or weather, or a foot ball game, or 5pm... etc

I'm not talking about the truth. I'm talking about "the right thing". Simple ethics.
I don't understand why you would stand up and defend the lack thereof. Then your ethics are as warped as theirs.

If they guarantee "every cell phone", off course they don't mean in antarctica, but here in Belgium. So please don't take that out of context ?
But they do mean every customer that has a cellphone. They slap us dead with those commercials. And if they guarantee that, they commit themselves. And that's what I'm trying to relay here, because that is the "issue" with allmost ALL companies these days. They keep lying to us every way they see fit, and we just keep letting them. More over, lots of ppl even defend it, blindsided as they are. This is an issue in general, and it's a global issue that we, as the ppls, really need to start dealing with. You can keep ignoring it but then you will only contribute in making it worse for our future and our kids. Not better.

If you were living here and actually "knew" the company like we do here, you would be defending this, because then you would actually understand, instead of trying to see who has the biggest d***

I rest my case. If you don't want to like that page I posted, no problem. But stop trying to convince me I'm not trying to do the right thing. :smile: Those that do want to give a "like", MANY THANKS !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FraJa